The Grey Matter team builds infrastructure intelligence solutions for managing, governing, and operating customer enterprise software. We are multi-context, high-velocity, and use state-of-the-art technology. We focus on automation, solving complex customer challenges, and ensuring smooth and expedient services to users.
In this role:
Our team helps organizations automate network configurations, discover services, and enable secure connectivity across any cloud. Our customers are operators, infrastructure engineers, and software developers that encounter novel performance, security, scaling, and usability challenges that we help them solve. Some examples of the functionality you’ll be working on will include proxy integrations, Envoy’s xDS APIs, certificate management for mutual TLS connectivity, and security through service-oriented patterns. You’ll actively contribute to the service mesh ecosystem, follow new developments in emerging technology, look for opportunities to differentiate our product from the competition and rethink product architecture to meet new global scale and organizational demands.
You can expect to:
- Architect and build distributed systems for service connectivity across heterogeneous environments (Kubernetes, VMs, bare metal or multi-cloud deployments).
- Synthesize requirements underlying feature requests, recommend technical and business approaches, and facilitate engineering efforts to meet timelines.
- Provide architecture patterns and system engineering to enable secure service to service communication.
- Engage in discussions, meeting support, and briefings with key customer stakeholders.
- Create reference implementations for the purpose of proving solutions, mentoring, and leading the teams.
- Own and lead key enterprise technology initiatives and architecture vision and strategy across engineering teams and projects.
- Develop and implement achievable roadmaps for implementation of cloud-native solutions that include usage of the Grey Matter platform.
- Develop implementable architecture blueprints and playbooks that align with our customer enterprise needs.
- Provide thought leadership to all of our teams and our customers on key industry and technology trends, staying current on new and emerging technologies.
Additional leadership responsibilities include:
- Manage relationships, influencing ideas and proposals persuasively working through conflicts to negotiate win/win solutions that benefit our people and customers.
- Shapes stakeholder opinions effectively; projects a positive image of the organization. Provides strategic thought leadership.
- Establish clear strategic vision for our execution and be able to foresee obstacles and opportunities and generate breakthrough ideas.
- Develop distinctive strategies to achieve competitive advantages translating broad strategies into specific objectives and action plans.
- Ensure the assignment of authority and accountability for continuous improvement of our produced products, software and customer services.
- Create an environment that fosters personal investment and excellence.
Deliver messages clearly, convincingly and in a well-organized manner, being able to vary communications style for multiple audiences.
- Understand and embrace diversity and possess the ability to adapt behavior based on cultural norms.
- Manage change effectively including organizational, process and service delivery changes.
You are a good fit if you can:
- Bring imagination and energy to your job every day.
- Whiteboard with small and large groups going through technical architecture and flows focused on application, data, and network engineering.
- Show empathy for the people operating, learning, teaching and supporting software our teams author.
- Possess a full span of knowledge of end-user computing, hosting, network, and software technologies.
- Deep-dive into emerging technologies and interact with internal and external teams.
- Have previously written code in Go (preferable), Python, or Java
- Possess knowledge of: API and RESTful web services development experience, JSON, XML, YAML; DevOps software delivery patterns; Distributed systems and cloud architectures
Other skills that are important:
- Experience with service mesh architecture
- Application protocols like gRPC, Kafka, HTTP/2, and NATS
What is our hiring process like?
The below serves as a basic outline; we may choose to add or remove steps based on the information that we gather during the process.
- Introductory call with someone from our team.
- First interview with an engineering mentor
- Interview with additional team members, with the following panel:
- Systems and architecture interview
- If applicable, a final conversation with the Engineering Manager for the team you would be joining
Collaboration and communication are critical aspects of how we work, a cover letter is a great way to provide a sample of how you communicate. In your cover letter, please describe why you’re interested in working with us, and what draws you to this role in particular. Specifics of your past experience that are relevant to this role are great to include, too.
We embrace diversity and equal opportunity. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. We believe the more inclusive we are, the better our company will be.